5.0" 40-pin TFT Display for Raspberry pi DSI connector

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bfulda

5.0" 40-pin TFT Display for Raspberry pi DSI connector

Post by bfulda »

Hello all,

I was wondering if the 5.0" 40-pin TFT Display that Adafruit sells would work in the 40 pin DSI connector on the Raspberry Pi? I just got mine in an had this thought and before I fry something I wanted to ask if this would work or if anyone had any ideas about it. thanks

Brad

bfulda

Re: 5.0" 40-pin TFT Display for Raspberry pi DSI connector

Post by bfulda »

So here is another question:

Using the Mini Kit - 320x240 2.8" TFT+Touchscreen for Raspberry Pi and the 5.0" 40-pin TFT Display - 800x480 with Touchscreen,could you disconnect the 2.8" TFT and plug in the 5.0" one and expect it to work?

And, is all of the 40-pin display buses/connectors you guys have, the same? Rather are the pin-outs the same across the board? I'm not sure if there is a standard or anything, but if there is, do these products follow the same standard across your display products?

I just don't want to fry a board or system, so I'm asking for some help from you guys first. Thanks again!!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the 40 pin TFTs we have are NOT DSI at all, they are 'raw TTL' - furthermore, even if you did have a MIPI DSI display you cannot just connect a screen to the DSI port, there's a firmware blob that the RPi foundation has to release to make it work

the 40pin TFT's are totally incompatible with the SPI PiTFT - completely different chipsets. if you need a bigger screen, check out the 7" HDMI display we have in the shop

bfulda

Post by bfulda »

Whew!! Thanks for the info. That is exactly why I am asking the pros instead of just plugging stuff up.

I just noticed that the connections 'looked' similar and if someone from your shop was standing next to me, I would have asked. So thanks again for the info. Always appreciative of all that you guys do.

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

Last February, the Foundation announced Broadcom was open sourcing (under BSD) the VideoCore IV http://www.raspberrypi.org/a-birthday-p ... -broadcom/

They were offering a bounty of $10K for a demo of using the display on DSI. They apparently closed the bounty and no display has shown up.

What hurdles are there currently on a DSI display?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”