Anybody get 2.2" TFT working without Arduino library?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwieberd

Anybody get 2.2" TFT working without Arduino library?

Post by dwieberd »

I still haven't been able to get the 2.2" display with the ILI9340 controller to comminucate at all. I was wondering if anybody has been able to get it to work, or even communicate, without using the Arduino library. I've done eveything I can think of to get it working and all I ever see back from SPI transactions are zeros. I'm using the same hardware and software routines that work fine with SPI-based flash memory parts. Please help.

dwieberd

Re: Anybody get 2.2" TFT working without Arduino library?

Post by dwieberd »

Ok. I finally did get it to respond with something besides zeros! Turns out I failed to appreciate that the reset line was active low. I'm still getting zeros for various IDs (like manufacturer ID) which is kind of strange, but I can toggle the DISPLAY ON/OFF bit with the DISPLAY ON and DISPLAY OFF commands. Also quite strange that 24 and 32 bit reads require a dummy clock before the MSB, but 8 bit reads don't.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Anybody get 2.2" TFT working without Arduino library?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear you got it working. Seriously.. debugging TFT hardware/software issues is less fun than it sounds. ;-)

Without digging into the datasheet, my best guess WRT the dummy clock is a word-boundary synchronization thing. There are a number of cases where we work with a device and say, "if that's the way you're going to be, that's the way you're going to be."

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”