RA8875 and images (JPEG)?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
briantun

RA8875 and images (JPEG)?

Post by briantun »

I'm working on a digital photo frame project, which is currently based on an Arduino mega.

I'm considering purchasing the larger TFT screen with the RA8875 controller offered here, but I didn't notice any obvious way to get images up on the screen.

Would I have to implement a JPEG decoder on the Arduino to do this, and send individual pixels? (would that even be fast enough?), or is there a simpler way?

Also, are the DUE style boards supported with that product?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: RA8875 and images (JPEG)?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I don't know if a Mega has enough RAM to handle a JPEG. And yes, you would have to draw it to the screen a pixel at a time. I don't know how jpeg algorithms work, but maybe you could subdivide the image into sections which would fit into RAM.

The library seems to throw some sort of syntax error when compiling for the Due. I'll have to see what's up with that, but it looks like it ought to work.

briantun

Post by briantun »

Thanks for the reply -- let me know when things are working on the Due. That board is certainly powerful enough to do the decoding -- I have a DigiX lying around, and I'd like to try it for this project.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Give it a try on your Due - I just updated the library on github: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_RA8875

Run it from 5V - you don't need a level-shifter on the output pins (MISO & INT) - the breakout only runs those at 3.3V levels.

VIN: 5V
LITE: 5V
GND: GND
SCK: ICSP Pin 3
MISO: ICSP Pin 1
MOSI: ICSP Pin 4
CS: Pin 10
RST: Pin 9
INT: Pin 3

tomo21

Post by tomo21 »

Brian, did you get this working? I'm trying to do something similar and don't really know where to start. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”