lifted traces

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
justterry

lifted traces

Post by justterry »

so far I have had three of the 8neopixel strips that got lifted traces on the first time I tried to solder to them. after the first time i tried turning my solder iron down and it is still happening. could someone from adafruit please help by explaining to me what I am doing wrong

Thanks

1chicagodave

Re: lifted traces

Post by 1chicagodave »

You know how it's easier to cut yourself when using a dull blade...?

Sometimes soldering is similar. If heat is too low, you'll spend a longer time in one spot and cause a lot more damage. Its often better to use a hot iron and get in and out real fast.

Do you have temp control on your iron?

When I solder to those kind of pads -
  • I use soldering flux.
    Quickly, melt a dab of solder onto the pad and let it cool.
    Tin the wire I'm about to connect to it.
    Then, hold the wire against the solder on pad, bring the iron against them both to reflow the solder, and remove iron as soon as it liquifies.
    Should be in and out in about one second or less.
But really, practice on something else first. If you don't have any old circuit boards or anything similar around...go down to Radio Shack, get a piece a perfboard, and just practice soldering wires to it. Who cares if you melt/ruin that?

Here is Adafruit's soldering guide -
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... ring/tools

Also, google & YouTube. There are lots of instructional vides on how to solder almost anything you can think of.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: lifted traces

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The solder used on these strips is lead-free and requires a higher temperature to melt compared with standard lead/tin solders. This fact, combined with the thin flexible pcb and traces makes it easier to overheat traces.

As noted by 1chicagodave, a cold iron is actually more likely to cause overheating of a joint. it is better to use a hotter iron to minimize the time it takes to melt the solder.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”