Dead NeoPixel in RGB Strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chemdoc77

Dead NeoPixel in RGB Strip

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi Adafruit Gang:

In my last order, I received a 1 meter length of the Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 30 LED -1m – BLACK along with other items.

When I went to use the strip, it did not work. I found out that the first NeoPixel on the strip was dead. It did not transmit the data out signal. When I hooked my circuit up to the 2nd NeoPixel, the whole strip except the first NeoPixel works fine with the Adafruit strandtest sketch. FYI, the last NeoPixel on the strip had ~ 5.2 volts on the V+ out of the strip when checked. If I touch a wire from pin 6 of the Uno to the underside of the “in” pad for the dead NeoPixel, nothing happened. When I touched a wire to the “in” pad of the second Neipixel then the strip worked perfectly except for the first Neopixel.

I used an Uno running the Adafruit standtest sketch using only the colorwipe at 50 brightness to run the strip. I used the same wiring that is in the Uberguide and this works with my breadboard NeoPixels and my 8X8 NeoPixel Matrix that I have. I used a 4700uf 25 volt despiking capacitor. The power supplies are the Adafruit’s 9 volt (for the Uno) and 5 volt/10 amp (for the strip) products. I had a common ground. I made sure that I was grounded before I tried the strip for the first time. When I connected the strip, I connected the ground first, then the signal in and finally V + was connected last to the strip.

My question to you is: Did I do something wrong or do you sometimes have this defect with these strips?

I would like to know before I try out the 1 meter length of the Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED -1m – BLACK that I received in the same order.

Finally, I would like to thank all of you at Adafruit for your wonderful NeoPixel products and your outstanding tutorials. This has allowed me to have way too much fun and enjoyment with the NeoPixels!

Best Regards,
Ken
AKA chemdoc77

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Dead NeoPixel in RGB Strip

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

chemdoc77 wrote:My question to you is: Did I do something wrong or do you sometimes have this defect with these strips?
We've seen a recent increase in "dead first pixel" issues, but haven't been able to isolate a specific cause.. it could be something as basic as the annual increase in static electricity during the winter.

The best suggestions we have right now are to put a BFC (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1589) between your VCC and GND rails, and a 300-500 ohm resistor between your Arduino and the DI pin. We've recently created a page called 'Best Practices' in out NeoPixel Uberguide: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... -practices

Follow those suggestions as well as you can, and keep a free jumper wire connected to a GND pin which you can touch before you start making connections.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”