NeoPixel Ring surface mount components

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
papacoyle

NeoPixel Ring surface mount components

Post by papacoyle »

I just received my order which included a NeoPixel ring. On inspection, it appears two of the surface mount components are not properly mounted. I am assuming the small rectangles are resistors. In the attached photo, one has half the part just above the solder pad. The second one is mounted perpendicular to the board, attached to only one pad. As this is my first purchase, is this correct? Thank you.
Attachments
Up close NeoPixel ring showing parts in question
Up close NeoPixel ring showing parts in question
neopixel ring.jpg (163.86 KiB) Viewed 221 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: NeoPixel Ring surface mount components

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's called 'tombstoning', and the parts in question are debounce capacitors.

It's something that happens during the reflow process. If the solder paste on one side of a part melts slightly before the paste on the other side, capillary action will lift the part until it's standing straight up on the board.

In this case, there's no measurable performance penalty. The debounce capacitors are a just-in-case feature to keep the data signals from getting noisy, and we included lots of excess just-in-case in the board design.

If the ring works, the tombstoned parts won't cause any trouble for you in the future. We can replace the ring if you'd like though.

papacoyle

Re: NeoPixel Ring surface mount components

Post by papacoyle »

Thanks for the quick response. I have not powered it up yet. As long as it works, I guess all is good.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”