Using WS2812B on a 3D LED grid

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
diegozaks

Using WS2812B on a 3D LED grid

Post by diegozaks »

Hi all, first question, new at making stuff!

I'm looking into making a 3D LED grid similar to this:
http://random-international.com/work/future-self/

Now, I wonder if I can use these LEDs on their own, can I connect them on series or will I need to add other components?
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1655

I've looked at other Adafruit pixel boards, and they all seem to have a capacitor (at least I think it is). I realize NeoPixels will be easier, but they'd blow out my entire budget for projects.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Using WS2812B on a 3D LED grid

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The WS2812B is the same device we use in our NeoPixel strips and other products. You'll have to do your own wiring, but will be able to run them using our existing NeoPixel library.

We do use a 100nF capacitor between VCC and GND on each pixel. The onboard LED controller uses PWM to set the color, turning each LED on and off for a specific amount of time. Those sudden on/off changes in current produce noise signals in the supply rails, and those can cause problems with how the chips work. The capacitors act like tiny rechargeable batteries for each chip, providing the extra kick of current when the LEDs need it and thus keeping the overall power clean.

diegozaks

Post by diegozaks »

Ok, thanks for your answer! Just to be sure I understood, I am able to use these LEDs by doing my own wiring, and the capacitor is optional?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can use the pixels with your own wiring, yes.

The capacitors are optional in much the same way a car's seats, doors, and windshield are optional.. they aren't technically part of the power or control systems, but they make using the power and control systems a heck of a lot more comfortable. ;-)

diegozaks

Post by diegozaks »

thank you very much for your answer. You have been extremely helpful

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”