2.5" NTSC TFT stopped working

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwarrenku

2.5" NTSC TFT stopped working

Post by dwarrenku »

I purchased two 2.5" tft displays (http://www.adafruit.com/products/912) last week for a head mounted fpv display I'm making.
One display arrived with a missing capacitor, causing the voltage regulator to run really hot. A replacement was shipped to me quickly, but while I wait for the replacement I'm still using the bad board for testing since it "works".
The other board/screen combo had no problems and ran fine. I have them both hooked up to the same power supply (6 AA batteries), and the same video feed (from my gopro).
Yesterday, I moved them from one enclosure to the other. I put double sided tape on the backs of the screens to adhere them to the back of the board, and I kind of had to force one of the controller boards out of the old enclosure. After that, I plugged them in and one screen came on (the one with the missing capacitor) while the other didn't.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:
  • Checked power connections, and they're both receiving 7.4v.
  • To check if the board was bad I plugged the working screen in, it didn't turn on.
  • To check if the screen was bad, I plugged it in to the working board, it didn't turn on.
  • Checked the flex connector and all looks fine.
Here are some photos of the screen combo: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/osrrqegtt2tbmvb/p_0DG3ODb4

Do you have any ideas of what could be wrong or what else I could check? It's weird that the good screen would stop working while the board with the missing capacitor continues chugging along.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 2.5" NTSC TFT stopped working

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You may have damaged something when you forced it out of the enclosure.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

dwarrenku

Post by dwarrenku »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:You may have damaged something when you forced it out of the enclosure.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.
Thanks, Rick. I'll email them.

On a side note, are there plans to introduce a higher resolution display? I know that recently some high res larger displays have been put up, but I'm curious if the smaller displays will get a bump once you find a supplier.

adafruit_support_rick

I don't know of any plans for higher-resolution 2.5" displays. Sorry.

dwarrenku

Post by dwarrenku »

I got the replacement screen for the board that has the missing capacitor. I plugged it in, and it was working great for ~15 minutes. Then the screen started to flicker, with green lines streaking across horizontally, and I cut the power. The whole time both screens are connected to the same point, soldered together in parallel. The board was incredibly warm, so warm I couldn't touch it.
I'm beginning to think that these boards are not the way to go. I've now gone through 3, and the only one still working (without worry of fire) is the one with the missing capacitor. Is there anyway I can return all four of these and forget that I ever tried using them?

adafruit_support_rick

Sorry for the trouble you're having. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a full refund.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”