El plastic in embedded form factor

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tato123

El plastic in embedded form factor

Post by tato123 »

I am working on creating a wearable watch device that I'd like to incorporate the look of a glowing el plastic (I.e http://www.adafruit.com/products/414 el plastic ). The problem is the el inverter doesn't seem to be friendly to anything that small. Is there any way of getting a cool glowing effect in a watch form factor and run from a lipoly battery?

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: El plastic in embedded form factor

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you saying that the inverter that comes with it doesn't work if you cut the panel to the size of a watch? I've not heard of that problem.
You will have a problem with 12V, though.
You can get a glowing effect by edge-lighting a piece of frosted acrylic with LEDs. That will let you run from a LiPo.

tato123

Post by tato123 »

I've considered the frosted acrylic glass approach, my only concern was finding a very bright set of presumably smd sized led's. I'd really like for the glow to be very visible in a dark room and light a small radius around the wearer. I'm pretty much going for a scifi esque glow

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can get right-angle SMD LEDs. If you mask the edges of the acrylic, you shouldn't get any spillover

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”