Problems with Adalight

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rubentju

Problems with Adalight

Post by Rubentju »

Hello all!

Today my order of 25 pcs WS2801 leds came in. I started right away with setting everything up but now it already failed at the first step.
I followed the guide very closely, wire blue in ground, green in 13 and yellow in 11. On the other end I have an 5V 1A DC power supply.
After loading the sketch up the TX light on the arduino blinks, the led furthest away from the arduino glows white and the rest stays of.
I've been looking through topics but I still haven't found the solution. Could anyone help me?

Greetings from Ruben

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Problems with Adalight

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Double check to make sure you've connected the data lines to the input side of the first pixel. There should be an arrow or other marking somewhere on the pixels to show which way the data needs to flow.

Rubentju

Post by Rubentju »

I checked it and there are small black arrows pointing up on the led closest to the male connector and pointing down on the other end (female connector). I don't have time to try it out right now but I will certainly update when it's done.

luisf

Post by luisf »

Hi Rubentju. Aparently we are having the same problem, no proper response from the LEDs.

I created a thread yesterday trying to explain my problem, seems similar to yours so far (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=500959). Is your wiring the same as mine?

dragoroth

Post by dragoroth »

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Oddly, the LED next to the 5V DC power supply does change colors when the connector of the strand (the one next to the LED, which is not connected to anything) is moved. Running any program on the Arduino does not seem to effect the LEDs.
I would really appreciate any solutions.

Thank you in advance!

Rubentju

Post by Rubentju »

I've found a solution for me. In the guide it says I've to use the female connector but that didn't work. So now I connected the male connector with the same ports on the arduino ( yellow 11, green 13 and blue gnu). The led stream worked and the strand test worked. If anyone wants pictures of my setup just ask.
And thank you Mike for telling me about the arrows.

Rubentju

Post by Rubentju »

Everything works for me now I only have to mount it on my monitor.
This is my setup: http://imgur.com/a/RyAgn
As you can see I used the male end and not the female end like the guide suggested. This is the fault of the setup of my leds and not the guide.

luisf

Post by luisf »

Rubentju wrote:I've found a solution for me. In the guide it says I've to use the female connector but that didn't work. So now I connected the male connector with the same ports on the arduino ( yellow 11, green 13 and blue gnu). The led stream worked and the strand test worked. If anyone wants pictures of my setup just ask.
In my strand the back of the arrow is pointing to the plug with the arms and the front is pointing to the male plug, so i should connect to the plug with arms as the tutorials says right?

I was feeding the strand through the two open cables at male end of the strand, i switched to the other end like in your picture and i get something out of it, if i connect everything with the Colorswirl example nothing works anyway, however when i unplug the gnd cable from the arduino the first LED startds changing color but not the other, and when i stop Colorswirl it also stops.

In you photo you appear to have connected the blue wire of the strand to the AREF of the Arduino, is this correct?
Do you have any idea?

Rubentju can i have your contact? maybe you can show me better how you did it.

Rubentju

Post by Rubentju »

LuisF wrote:
Rubentju wrote:I've found a solution for me. In the guide it says I've to use the female connector but that didn't work. So now I connected the male connector with the same ports on the arduino ( yellow 11, green 13 and blue gnu). The led stream worked and the strand test worked. If anyone wants pictures of my setup just ask.
In my strand the back of the arrow is pointing to the plug with the arms and the front is pointing to the male plug, so i should connect to the plug with arms as the tutorials says right?

I was feeding the strand through the two open cables at male end of the strand, i switched to the other end like in your picture and i get something out of it, if i connect everything with the Colorswirl example nothing works anyway, however when i unplug the gnd cable from the arduino the first LED startds changing color but not the other, and when i stop Colorswirl it also stops.

In you photo you appear to have connected the blue wire of the strand to the AREF of the Arduino, is this correct?
Do you have any idea?

Rubentju can i have your contact? maybe you can show me better how you did it.
Sure sent a private message with contact info. I prefer mail.

luisf

Post by luisf »

Rubentju wrote:Sure sent a private message with contact info. I prefer mail.
I was actually trying to do that but i cannot seam to find a way to message you :shock: maybe its hidden or something.

Rubentju

Post by Rubentju »

Okay I have sent you a mail.

Rubentju

Post by Rubentju »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”