RGB LCD Shield Kit troubleshooting

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keithpjolley

RGB LCD Shield Kit troubleshooting

Post by keithpjolley »

hi,
after a soldering fiasco on a job much too involved for these eyes i pulled the kit out of the trash to try one more time and i must have jarred something tight because this time the kit sort-of worked. when i load the "hello world" example and push:
  • "right" -> blue
    "down" -> red
    "up" -> red
    "left" -> off
    "select" -> purple
    "reset" -> reset
at no time does text show up on the lcd. i put in Serial.println for each button which shows up correctly on the serial monitor for each one of the buttons.
so from this i gather that green no workie and text no workie. any ideas on how to troubleshoot?
thanks,
keith

adafruit_support_bill

Re: RGB LCD Shield Kit troubleshooting

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The fact that some of the background colors & buttons are working means that your Arduino is able to communicate with the i2c port expander chip. That narrows down the problem to connections between the chip and the display module. Chief suspects would be pin 17 (green led), pins 11-14 (data pins) and pins 1-6 (power and control connections).

If you post some photos of the front and back of the board we can check it over.

keithpjolley

Post by keithpjolley »

thanks. i used a jumper and was able to get green to work. digging around a bit i found the pin diagram which should help: https://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/rgb ... nsions.gif

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You might want to take a look at this guide too: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”