Digital RGB LED Strips - Massive Installation

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pburgess

Re: Digital RGB LED Strips - Massive Installation

Post by pburgess »

Sure, it's fine to call setPixelColor() off the end of a strip, it'll simply be clipped (i.e. no effect).

lukechi

Post by lukechi »

Sure, it's fine to call setPixelColor() off the end of a strip, it'll simply be clipped (i.e. no effect).
Thanks, @pburgess! I just wanted to be sure before I tested it to avoid damaging a strip.

Here's another question - most of the functions given as examples from Adafruit are all progressive functions - wipe, chase, etc. Is there a way to tell all or a portion of a strip to fade all pixels in unison from off to 100% white?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. If you look at the 'progressive' functions, they all call strip.show() inside the 'for' loop. Most of them also have a delay in the loop.

To make it change instantaneously, eliminate the delay and move the strip.show() out of the loop. This way, all the pixel will be set inside the loop without delay. Then they will be written to the strip in one pass when you call strip.show().

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”