TFT Shield with ArduinoMega

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bourdonlouis

TFT Shield with ArduinoMega

Post by bourdonlouis »

I have purchased this shield from you (http://www.adafruit.com/products/802) and I can't get it to work with ArduinoMega.
Can I have some help?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: TFT Shield with ArduinoMega

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid that shield wasn't designed to work with the Mega.

The Mega's SPI pins are broken out through the ICSP header.. the 2x3 group of pins toward the bottom of the shield. Some of our recent shields have built-in support for that connection, but for this one, the header pins would interfere with the TFT.

To make that shield work with a Mega you'll have to re-route the signals from the ICSP header to pins 11, 12, and 13 which carry SPI signals for a regular Arduino. That will be a bit of a challenge, but you might be able to do it by connecting jumpers to a surface-mount 2x3 female header.

bourdonlouis

Post by bourdonlouis »

So you are telling me that I can't use your shields? I wonder why I bought them.
In a previous post I asked if I could use the CC3000 with an Uno, and you suggested that I use a Mega (concerning memory limits). Now I switched to Mega, but I can't connect the display because of the pins occupied by the CC3000.

I honestly am very confused and very frustrated that I want to build a project that is heavily based on your products, and instead of making my life easier, I am struggling days now to put the pieces together.

And I really believe that this project is dead... great!

adafruit_support_mike

The CC3000 shield does work with a Mega. The TFT shield doesn't, at least not as a direct plug-in device.

It might be possible to stack the TFT shield on top of the CC3000 and inherit the SPI rerouting from that.

bourdonlouis

Post by bourdonlouis »

I have tried re-routing but it didn't work.
Could you tell me how to re-route correctly - what to connect where?

adafruit_support_mike

To make sure I don't miss anything, could you post a complete list of the hardware you want to connect to the Mega please?

bourdonlouis

Post by bourdonlouis »

Mega, TFT Shield & CC3000

I have connected the ISP pins of CC3000, and I am trying to connect the shield. So far I have used the following configuration:

Connections from Shield to Mega:
5V - 5V
Gnd - Gnd
D8 - D8
D10 - SS
D11 - MOSI
D12 - MISO
D13 - SCK

adafruit_support_mike

Okay, let's make sure the base system works: can you get a wifi connection from just the CC3000 shield and the Mega?

bourdonlouis

Post by bourdonlouis »

Yes, Mega and CC3000 work fine. Also, the TFT lights up, but it does not display anything when I run some of the examples..

adafruit_support_mike

By default, both the CC3000 and the TFT use pin 10 for the CS signal.

You can move the TFT's CS signal to another pin. Either cut the trace on the bottom of the shield between GPIO #10 and the hole labeled 'TCS', or just remove that pin from the header. Solder a jumper between the TCS pad and the digital pin you want to use for the TFT's CS, then change the TFT code so it knows to use that pin when talking to the TFT.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”