Brighter version of Neopixel?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pblights

Brighter version of Neopixel?

Post by pblights »

Heyhey! I ordered one of the Neopixel Rings (16 LEDs) and after a couple days of playing with it, it seems great, although not quite bright enough for my needs. Does anyone have recommendations for sources for brighter, adjustable LED rings? I came across another vendor - Advanced Illumination - but they don't seem to have variable color LEDs. I'd need a minimum inner diameter of at least 15mm, and getting any wider outer diameter than roughly 50mm doesn't do me any good.

(Please let me know if this is in the wrong part of the forum! One of the reps suggested I ask on here!)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Brighter version of Neopixel?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have these: http://www.adafruit.com/products/683
They are 36mm and have 4 leds in each pixel. They use a different chip and higher voltate (12v) compared to the neopixels. But programming them is pretty similar:

pblights

Post by pblights »

Hmmm. I just checked out the parts and they both seem to be 5050 based. Also, the LEDs in the part you linked do not have a datasheet currently specified. Any chance you can provide any update about that?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I just checked out the parts and they both seem to be 5050 based.
5050 just refers to the form-factor of the LED. Neopixels are based on the WS2812 driver chip which uses a one-wire protocol. The 36mm chips are based on the WS2801 which uses a 2-pin SPI-type protocol.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”