neo Pixel WS2812

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
protskymuts

neo Pixel WS2812

Post by protskymuts »

Hello all,
I purchased the neo pixel 10 pack (6 pins), trying to solder them onto an arduino Protoboard. But I cannot figure out how to hook them up (after they have been soldered)
I found this : http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf
But I am too much of a noob to interpret the schematic correctly. Is there anyone out there who could post me a picture with the wiring indicated? Or explain to me which side is up, left, down or right? What is ground, digital in and digital out?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s.: The script I wrote works perfectly with the pixel ring so the error is not in the script but in the way I am trying to hook it up... I hope I havent broken my Led's yet, cause i read they have no polarity protection...

michaelmeissner

Re: neo Pixel WS2812

Post by michaelmeissner »

My sympathies. If you are a newbie, these surface mount LEDs will probably present a challenge.

If you look at the data sheet, you will a corner that has a line across it. The front of the LED has one corner with a similar line across it. That is pin #3 is VSS (or ground). The pin diagonally opposite is pin #1, and that is VDD (the 5v power input). With the LED top side up, the pin to the right of pin #1 and above pin #3 is DIN (or the data signal/previous DOUT). The remaining pin below pin #1 and to the left of #3 is DOUT (data signal to hook up to the next LED).

protskymuts

Post by protskymuts »

Thank you for your sympathies :) and your quick reply!
I am struggling a bit indeed... But now I know there is a corner with a line! Why did noone tell me?

Before I hook it all up, is this correct? (just to see I interpret the sheet correctly)
1. Image

Or is this correct? (or are you talking about the 4 pin version?)
2. Image

protskymuts

Post by protskymuts »

Hello there!
I was too inpatient and went along and tried it...
I must be doing something else wrong. It still doesn't work... Even if I connect the ground first like it says in the tutorial. Any suggestions?

This is my code :

Code: Select all

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

#define PIN 6

// Parameter 1 = number of pixels in strip
// Parameter 2 = pin number (most are valid)
// Parameter 3 = pixel type flags, add together as needed:
//   NEO_KHZ800  800 KHz bitstream (most NeoPixel products w/WS2812 LEDs)
//   NEO_KHZ400  400 KHz (classic 'v1' (not v2) FLORA pixels, WS2811 drivers)
//   NEO_GRB     Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream (most NeoPixel products)
//   NEO_RGB     Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream (v1 FLORA pixels, not v2)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(1, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() 
{
  strip.begin();
  strip.show(); // Initialize all pixels to 'off'

strip.setPixelColor(0,10,10,10 );
  strip.show();
}

void loop()
{
}

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

It depends on whether you got the old version (WS2812) or the new version (WS2812B). Since I don't own either, I can't help telling them apart. The datasheet you mentioned in the first post is the WS2812B, and my suggestions were based on that. The datasheet you mentioned in the third post is the older WS2812, and has a completely different pin layout.

The other thing to look at is whether your soldering is up to snuff. Typically you would need to provide a digital picture to allow other people to access how well you made the solder joint. Note, I am not the person to judge whether a soldering connection is acceptable or not (I try to avoid soldering, and about 1/2 of the soldering I do fails, and sometimes I can rework it, and sometimes I need to buy a new part).

Finally, if you wire things up wrong, you can let out the magic smoke, and it won't work after that (BTDT).

protskymuts

Post by protskymuts »

Hey Michael,
again thanks for the quick reply. It's definitely the old one with six pins...
So far I have only connected the 5v... Could it be that I also need to connect to the 3v?

I'll try that tomorrow and if it still dont work I'll post a digital picture.
I'm not saying I am a soldering genius but usually I do manage. I also can't get it to work without soldering with little clamps so I don't think its the soldering. I think I'm doing something wrong.

cheers

protskymuts

Post by protskymuts »

Couldn't resist and tried it right away...

After connecting the 3v3 pin everything works just fine.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your assistance Michael!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”