Analog RGB LED strip brightness

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DropbearNinja

Analog RGB LED strip brightness

Post by DropbearNinja »

Hi, I want to make this adafruit project: https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips but I'd like to be able to adjust the overall brightness of the leds. For simplicity I was hoping to just use voltage to do so.

Looking at the usage page, could I simply use a 4th MOSFET and 4th PWM from arduino to MOSFET gate, +12V from PSU (NOT arduino) to drain, and source to the LED trip +12V. That way adjusting the duty cycle would adjust the voltage going to to the led strip.

Is this correct?

If so, would I be able to visually see the 'blinking' from the PWM controlling the power? Would I need to use a simple PWM->DAC filter like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Analog- ... o-Voltage/

i.e. I could have arduino --> MOSFET --> PWM/DAC --> LED strip, controlling the arduino PWM duty cycle then gives fairly precise (steady) voltage control?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Analog RGB LED strip brightness

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The N-channel MOSFETs from that tutorial are not sutable for "high-side" switching. You would need a P-channel device for that. Also, you would likely have problems with interference between the PWM rates of the high-side and the low-side. You would get annoying flashing at 'beat frequencies'. A simple RC filter as in the instructable you linked would not work well for the current-levels involved.

Overall, a software solution would be far simpler. Simply reduce the PWM duty cycle proportionally on all three channels.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”