Capacitor necessary for new 8mm NeoPixel?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tichy

Capacitor necessary for new 8mm NeoPixel?

Post by tichy »

Hello, the pictures with the breadboard of the new product 8mm Neo Pixel does not show a capacitor, although in every other application of the WS 2811/WS 2812 there is one (of about 0.1 uF) between +5V and Ground. Is the capacitor built-in or not required for those LEDs?

How would you compare the brightness compared to the NeoPixels from e.g. the NeoPixel 8x8 matrix?

Greetings from northern Norway,

Frank

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Capacitor necessary for new 8mm NeoPixel?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm not sure if there in an internal capacitor. I suspect so, but I'll check into it.

As for brightness: these will have about the same total light output as the bare pixels in the matrix. However, the light is diffused over a larger surface area. So when looking directly at the LED it will appear less blindingly bright. But in terms of illumination, they will be about the same.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

There is no internal cap, for short leads you may not need one, just add a couple of uF if you hvae more than 10 is probably best.

diffused pixels are *not* as blinding but they have color in all directions and have a nice glow. they are certainly visible in a well lit office

tichy

Post by tichy »

adafruit2 wrote:There is no internal cap, for short leads you may not need one, just add a couple of uF if you hvae more than 10 is probably best.

diffused pixels are *not* as blinding but they have color in all directions and have a nice glow. they are certainly visible in a well lit office
Ok, one of the ideas I have is to build a desk lamp with a slightly changing colour temperature (e.g. visible in direct comparison but not looking too different from plain white) . The diffused nature makes that a bit easier.

Thanks for the quick and competent help, I really appreciate it!

Greetings from the (somewhat) dark Norway,

Frank

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like a nice project. Be sure to post photos when you are done :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”