Sewable LED Sequins

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Kri5tin4

Sewable LED Sequins

Post by Kri5tin4 »

I have a question actually about a project I saw on your website. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwL71I ... VNjJ3SfApM

I want to solder these LED's to metal tubes to make the sequins you feature in this video. I was wondering what experience you at Adafruit have had washing garments (machine or hand) that have these DIY sequins - ie are the soldered points strong enough to withstand washings? I am lighting up the outside seam of my jeans using the couching method with conductive thread and regular thread. This is my first electronics project.

Cheers and thanks,
Kristina

Agent_24

Re: Sewable LED Sequins

Post by Agent_24 »

Solder joints can stand up to some stress but are not tough like something that is welded. Gentle hand washing should be fine but you are probably best off to avoid using a machine.

One thing to note though, while the beads themselves and the conductive thread should be fine (if you use the stainless type), you may get some corrosion on the LED contacts. This may or may not be an issue. Someone else should be able to give better advice on that.

Kri5tin4

Post by Kri5tin4 »

Thanks! A friend just told me to try covering the LED with hot glue to waterproof it and to protect it from tarnishing. I'll try that and see how it goes. I'll try anything to get these washing machine ready -I'd rather skip hand washing if possible.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Our wearables expert Becky has done a tutorial on how to wash electronics: https://learn.adafruit.com/washing-wear ... ectronics/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”