LED strips fry with Raspberry Pi

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
camjones1708

LED strips fry with Raspberry Pi

Post by camjones1708 »

I am trying to follow this guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... d-software . And my LED strip I just got is not responding to my raspberry pi and it also smelled like electrical burning initially. You can see where it got too hot and melted the plastic coating. I identified it as one of the black things in between LEDs ( I assume amps). I connected it to a 5V 800mA power supply. I checked to make sure that the CI and DI cables were not switched and also made sure it was connected to the input of the LED strip. These are the LEDs I am using. http://www.adafruit.com/products/306
Attachments
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg (418.73 KiB) Viewed 305 times
IMG_0348.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg (298.63 KiB) Viewed 305 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: LED strips fry with Raspberry Pi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Can you please post a picture showing how the adapter is connected to the strip? Are you sure you didn't reverse +5V and Ground?

camjones1708

Post by camjones1708 »

White is the ground from the female dc adapter I got from adafruit as well. And from left to right (or bottom to top depending on which way it uploads) The JST is CI,+5,DI,GND. Its that order because the CI didn't wanna go in the breadboard so I just clamped it to a wire and it torks it out of the picture. You can kinda see that.
Attachments
IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg (611.49 KiB) Viewed 269 times

adafruit_support_rick

You're back-powering the Pi through the ribbon cable?

camjones1708

Post by camjones1708 »

No but that's how the tutorial said to wire it.

adafruit_support_rick

camjones1708 wrote:No but that's how the tutorial said to wire it.
So it does. Hmm... not sure I like that. You should leave the ground - it's necessary. But I would disconnect the 5V from the Pi ribbon cable.

Meanwhile. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement LED strip.

camjones1708

Post by camjones1708 »

I did that and also removed the led segment that smelled of electric burning. Now (skipping the first two) the led strip lights up two of every eight. For example:
x's are off and o's are on: xx oo xx xx xx xx oo xx xx xx xx oo xx xx xx. This is regardless of me running any code on my pi or not. I checked again to make sure the two inputs are not switched coming from the pi. And that the ground is connected to the raspberry pi as well.

adafruit_support_rick

Well, if you burned out one segment, the whole strip is suspect. Let's try the replacement and see.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”