Neopixels overheating and stop working.

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
d mage59663

Re: Neopixels overheating and stop working.

Post by d mage59663 »

Yes, I can confirm it outputs 5.01V. In my particular case, I am not using the sense function of this regulator which detects voltage drop and tunes its output to make 5V at that point.

I can transfer to this lab power supply that I borrowed, but it does not have the amperage rating recommended for these LEDs. Its rating is 1.5 amps at 5V.

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

I've had several problems with low quality LED strips (not purchased from Adafruit) where the LEDs would heat up and the strip would flex due to thermal expansion. I had the strips rigidly mounted to a wood board with foam mounting tape, which in hindsight causes worse warping between the attachment points. The solder joints between the LEDs and strip aren't great, so sometimes the flexing causes a LED to stop conducting and passing the signal to the rest of the strip. Sometimes just physically pressing on the LED is enough to get it to start conducting the signal again.

These were purchased a couple years ago (before Adafruit had NeoPixel) directly from a Chinese vendor. They're the old 6-pin type and the quality of the strip leaves much to be desired.

Your problems may be unrelated, but the symptoms sound similar.

d mage59663

Post by d mage59663 »

I can push down on some of the LEDs and they would start working again. Others do not exhibit this behavior.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”