2.8" TFT screen displaying lines

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pbo

2.8" TFT screen displaying lines

Post by pbo »

Hi Adafruit Support,

Just received the PiTFT Mini Kit 2.8" TFT and assembled it, however I'm getting some strange lines on the screen that do not disappear. Could this be defective and if so, may i have a replacement sent, please?

Also, is there a better way of affixing the display to the board? The adhesive on the back of the display doesn't seem to hold very well.

Thanks!
IMG_4702.jpg
IMG_4702.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 273 times
IMG_7170.jpg
IMG_7170.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 273 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 2.8" TFT screen displaying lines

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Those lines are very strange. They don't look like a hardware defect. Have you gone through any of the driver installation in the tutorial?
Double-stick foam tape should hold the display. I'm surprised that the tape the display ships with is not holding. Did you fully remove the protective backing?

pbo

Post by pbo »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Im pretty sure it's a hardware defect as I am using the screen and card/image as part of the cupcade kit and didn't need to install the drivers. I ordered and built an extra TFT for the cupcade and it's working perfectly with that pi and cupcade card but when I swap the screen out for testing with the screen in question the lines appear.

The tape that is shipping with the screens are very thin adhesive that do not have foam and seem to come off very easily. Are they supposed to come with foam backed tape? Yes I did remove the backing first.

Appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yow, that's broken crystals under the display! yes you should request a new piTFT kit. it must have cracked in shipment as we would have caught it in our QC. email support@adafruit for a new one :)

pbo

Post by pbo »

Thank you for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”