DEO-Nano FPGA and Led Matrix Tutorial

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stonechild

DEO-Nano FPGA and Led Matrix Tutorial

Post by stonechild »

I've been able to get through Controlling the Adafruit 32x16 RGB LED Matrix with a DE0-Nano FPGA Board tutorial ( https://learn.adafruit.com/fpga-rgb-matrix ) up to the point where I start the Virtual JTAG interface server and then start the Processing sketch, Chaser, with the result that it fails as you see below.

When "Starting server on port 1337..." is displayed should I expect to see a following message that the server has started? This obviously does not happen, so after several minutes I start Chaser.

I will appreciate any advice regarding my problem.

-------------------- Begin Output ----------------------------

C:\Users\Dennis\Development\Adafruit-FPGA\adafruit\tcl>run

C:\Users\Dennis\Development\Adafruit-FPGA\adafruit\tcl>C:\altera\13.1\quartus\bi
n\quartus_stp.exe -t "vjtag_server.tcl"
Info: *******************************************************************
Info: Running Quartus II 32-bit SignalTap II
Info: Version 13.1.0 Build 162 10/23/2013 SJ Web Edition
Info: Copyright (C) 1991-2013 Altera Corporation. All rights reserved.
Info: Processing started: Sat May 17 13:08:45 2014
Info: Command: quartus_stp -t vjtag_server.tcl
------------------------------------------------

<<-=*[ JTAG server for RGB LED Matrix ]*-=>>

* Locating USB-Blaster device...
* Finding devices attached to USB-Blaster [USB-0]...
* Opening @1: EP3C25/EP4CE22 (0x020F30DD)
* Starting server on port 1337...
* Connection from 127.0.0.1 58222 opened
DEBUG: Write_JTAG_IR 1
* Sending reset command!
DEBUG: Write_JTAG_IR 2
* Connection from 127.0.0.1 58223 opened
* Sending reset command!
DEBUG: Write_JTAG_IR 2
DEBUG: Ignored incoming data of length 0 chars
DEBUG: Write_JTAG_IR 0
* Connection with 127.0.0.1 58223 closed
DEBUG: Ignored incoming data of length 0 chars
DEBUG: Write_JTAG_IR 0
* Connection with 127.0.0.1 58222 closed

Dennis

adafruit2

Re: DEO-Nano FPGA and Led Matrix Tutorial

Post by adafruit2 »

erk not sure - umm do you have to be an Admin? We'll email the tutorial writer, maybe they can help!

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

I have tried running from beginning to end as admin and there was no difference.The output in my message was produced while running as admin. I've gotten caught a number of times by applications that only work when run as admin so your question is a good one.

I should have pointed out that I was using Quartus II 13.1 although it is in the output above. Perhaps that might have caused the problem. I get the impression rhat the tutorial was developed using an earlier release of Quartus II.

I am trying to figure out what the problem is myself, but there is so much involved when running this last part so it is slow going..

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

So, any word from the author of the tutorial. In the meantime I'm slowly doing the "my first fpga".tutorial.that comes with the DEO-Nano.

In looking at the FPGA code in the Adafruit tutorial, It would be helpful if someone could point to where the pixel data comes into the DEO-Nano and/or where it leaves it.

sorphin

Post by sorphin »

Just tried doing this too... Any updates?

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

No, I haven't gotten any further. I'm in the same place I was when I wrote my last post. I decided to buy a Papilio One 500k which is a bit more approachable and I hope I will be able to learn enough with it to come back to the DEO-Nano and 32 x32 LED panel.

Recently, though, Gadget Factory has developed the Papilio Duo. They have the HDL to run combinations of 32x32 panels. I'm hoping I can adapt it to the Papilio One and then to the DEO-Nano. A discussion of what is being done can be found at

http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.ph ... /?hl=32x32

sorphin

Post by sorphin »

stonechild wrote:No, I haven't gotten any further. I'm in the same place I was when I wrote my last post. I decided to buy a Papilio One 500k which is a bit more approachable and I hope I will be able to learn enough with it to come back to the DEO-Nano and 32 x32 LED panel.

Recently, though, Gadget Factory has developed the Papilio Duo. They have the HDL to run combinations of 32x32 panels. I'm hoping I can adapt it to the Papilio One and then to the DEO-Nano. A discussion of what is being done can be found at

http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.ph ... /?hl=32x32
I bought the DE0 Nano specifically for this. Oh well.

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

Perhaps now that two people are interested in getting the DEO-Nano working with the 32x32 panels someone will adjust the code for their tutorial to work with these panels. I hope that eventually I will know enough to run 32x32 panels with the DEO-Nano..In the meantime I'm using the Papilio because it is easier I believe to learn about FPGAs with that board..

Dennis

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

Here's another thought. There is a discussion going on about 32x32 LED panels in one of the forums at the Gadget Factory. You might want to look at it.. The code that is being developed will be available and if we are both lucky, a good deal of the HDL will work on the DEO-Nano. The discussion is at

http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.ph ... and-video/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”