2.8" TFT (Screen works fine but TFT not workning

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
freddyyeddy

2.8" TFT (Screen works fine but TFT not workning

Post by freddyyeddy »

I received my Adafruit TFT Wednesday night and soldered it as per instructions installed the specific distro of Raspbian on a 4gig sd card. the screen worked without any work at all. then i ran the startx command it automatically launched the screen config then the "trouble" started. I tried a DS stylus and no dice the cursor wouldn't move. Then i moved back to guide and started with a Fresh install of the supplied Raspbian in case it was that. From here on out Im going to shorthand the steps i took (I went to public school and the no child left behind definitely doesn't put written English as a priority).

- "sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/95-stmpe.rules" ;
I saw the line I was told to add was alreadt present"
- "sudo rmmod stmpe_ts; sudo modprobe stmpe_ts" :
No errors
- "ls -l /dev/input/touchscreen"
returned: "/dev/input/touchscreen -> event0"
- "sudo apt-get install evtest tslib libts-bin"
returned: "libts-bin is already the newest version."
-"sudo evtest /dev/input/touchscreen"
All touches were not recognized eg: touch dead center with BANNED stylus and no pressure, no ABS_X displayed or change, and no ABS_Y change or display.
all other tests/calibrations from Adafruit guide did not yield anything different. Insert google here.....
...... Annnnddd bubkiss. But wait theres more!! I get the greatest most facepalmie idea ever "What if the Adafruit Support Forum has people with similar problems..." I found one fella who didnt know how to solder (But that didn't stop me from verifying the solder joints with extreme paranoia attached is pictures of solder joints for your looking pleasure (or displeasure the soldering iron i use is craptacular but it gets hot and melts solder gooder than a regular iron plus it's served me well very well and this thought within a thought is very inceptiony)) and he also thought to check the ribbon cable ( I know.. I know.. But good customer didnt you read the instructions? We even had Pictures and stated "Check also on the back that the TFT is attached and that the flex connector is seated into the onboard FPC socket." I know bad at following instructions Point of Shame Right at this guy) So i checked my ribbon cable both sides (I had to use my lock picks to slide between screen and PCB thats some awesome tape you guys use) and no visible damages or broken trace there then i checked the Socket and unfortunately no "Aha!!!" moments were had the flex cable was as inserted as inserted could get. So here i am a man asking for help (What has this world come to that i cannot solve my own problems am i a man or a Muppet? wait scratch that My man card was revoked ages ago)

Thank you for your time and effort to read this overcomplicated and stated issue. I feel that over simplified "It Dont Work" Trouble tickets are the worst so i bath you with detail and hope you have seen something i do not. Especially if you see a unicorn because you gotta point stuff like that out I mean Seriously!
-SB
Attachments
This is the top of the header solder joint (I deflower each pin and even plugged in cobbler and contiguity tested each pin all good)
This is the top of the header solder joint (I deflower each pin and even plugged in cobbler and contiguity tested each pin all good)
Top.JPG (936.08 KiB) Viewed 520 times
the Back? of the solder joint
the Back? of the solder joint
Back.JPG (965.13 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Front? Best
Front? Best
Front.JPG (967.46 KiB) Viewed 520 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 2.8" TFT (Screen works fine but TFT not workning

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Your soldering looks good.

Just to check, have you tried running the touchscreen with your finger? I know you mentioned using a stylus a couple of times, and that might have had some effect.

freddyyeddy

Post by freddyyeddy »

Yup started with finger then tried stylus.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like there's some kind of problem with the touchscreen or the controller.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will handle a replacement. We may also want the one you have back so we can examine it in our own lab, so the support team might also arrange return shipping.

arntor

Post by arntor »

hi there, ive exactly the same probly with my pitft.

followed every step and got exaclty the same issue here, all requests are fine just no response from touch panel.... just email or need to knew more (im a learned electrician so solding is np)

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

arntor Could you post clear pictures of your board and the connections to it?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”