neopixel battery powered costume

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
grayconstruct

neopixel battery powered costume

Post by grayconstruct »

Trying to build a *minimal* circuit for a costume, two 16 pixel ring boards, arduino mini pro, alkaline battery pack.

1 would I likely get more battery life using 4AA and a LM2940 regulator (I have used 7805, they typically need 6 or 7v to even work and trying to avoid 6AA pack) but either way there will be efficiency losses in the regulator; *or* by using 3AA batteries (4.5v) with no regulator?

2 Is the 1000uf capacitor important for a battery circuit? I am not aware of voltage spikes like there are with power supplies during switch-on and I read Alkalines naturally inhibit some transients. Just trying to reduce component count and size for the costume.

I will probably limit the LED's to 75% brightness and more color than white and only 1/3 on at any given time, so I don't expect to be near the 1920mA max of 32 LEDs, probably more like 400mA.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: neopixel battery powered costume

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd go with the 4.5v battery pack and skip the regulator. The capacitor is not generally needed with battery supplies.

michaelmeissner

Re: neopixel battery powered costume

Post by michaelmeissner »

FWIW, I've powered a Gemma using the 1200maH lipo battery powering two 16 LED rings for over 24 hours (I left to go to work at 24-25 hours, and when I got back home ~ 36 hours, the battery was depleted). I kept the power level down to 30 max (this is in fact for the hat with 2 rings that is in my icon photo).

Now, this was with the older neopixels, that could be powered directly with a Lipo. I don't know if the new neopixels would allow you to get away with powering the rings at 3.7v power any more.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”