Problems with flowing EL wire

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mattlyle

Problems with flowing EL wire

Post by mattlyle »

I am having problems with EL FLOWING EFFECT WIRE WITH INVERTER - BLUE 2.0 METER (6.5 FT)
https://www.adafruit.com/products/948

I actually have two copies that are doing the same thing (ordered at the same time)... the first worked great for about 2 minutes, and then it died. It will sometimes (maybe 5% of the time) flicker back on for a second, then die again. I move the slider wheel back and forth and that doesn't seem to affect anything. I am using completely fresh batteries out of the package, so I know that isn't the issue. The other EL Wire worked great for over an hour as I was working it into the project, then it too started doing the same thing.

I wasn't bending it all that much, so I don't think it's a short or broken wire there. I opened up the controller and I don't see anything obvious like a broken piece, fried component or obvious short circuit, but I don't have a ton of background here to debug anything myself...

Franklin97355

Re: Problems with flowing EL wire

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post some clear pictures of your connections and the inverter?

mattlyle

Post by mattlyle »

There isn't a connection, for this model the inverter is permanently attached. Here are two shots of it opened up though, just a heads up though, photography isn't a skill of mine, so I hope it's clear enough? I wasn't sure how tight to zoom in to see things super clear though, let me know if you need a tighter shot.

Thanks!
Attachments
just the components
just the components
b.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 237 times
entire inverter
entire inverter
a.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 237 times

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thanks, Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

mattlyle

Post by mattlyle »

Thank you again for the great customer service :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”