Medium 32x32 RGB Panel Troubleshooting

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BlackBirds

Medium 32x32 RGB Panel Troubleshooting

Post by BlackBirds »

Greetings,

A few weeks ago I purchased the Medium 32x32 RGB LED Matrix Panel. After hooking up the wires, installing the libraries, and running the test codes provided (color wheel, plasma, shapes) I'm having some problems with the colors - namely that red takes over pretty much everything. I attached a picture of the color wheel test code running, and there is no other color visible than red. The same effect shows in the test shapes and plasma test codes (I can host the videos on YouTube if additional images are required).

I'm able to create shapes on my own and in other colors, however the top line of RGB LEDs and the line running across the middle are showing up when the code does not require it. On the attached image with the green shapes, there should be two lines of non-lit LEDs across the middle, not one. Also it should be various brightnesses of green, and no individual red lights.

Any trouble shooting advice would be greatly appreciated, but I think there may be something wrong with the panel.

Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 10.54.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 10.54.01 PM.png (612.79 KiB) Viewed 290 times
colorwheel_32x32
colorwheel_32x32
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 10.49.51 PM.png (885.16 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Stabitha

Re: Medium 32x32 RGB Panel Troubleshooting

Post by Stabitha »

Make sure all your connections are made exactly as specified and make sure you have all of the pertinent flags set correctly in the libraries.

There are a surprising number of misconfigurations that "work" but glitchy.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The "all red" effect is usually symptomatic of missing or inadequate power; the LEDs are lighting off "parasitic" current from the data lines. These panels require a pretty beefy 5V supply, at least 2A but 4A is ideal.

BlackBirds

Post by BlackBirds »

Ah, alright. Good to know. Time to look into alternative powering means.

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”