NeoPixel Ring not Lighting up.

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
isitworking

NeoPixel Ring not Lighting up.

Post by isitworking »

I am making the FLORA NeoGeo Watch. I am testing all components first before assembly. I am not able to get the ring to light up. I have read the tutorials downloaded examples code placed it in the library. The solders are good I have clipped the wires to the Flora board. I have tried using the battery and also wired to the 3.3 v. The program runs, the FLORA lights up but nothing happens to the ring.
How can I test this ring.
Please help.

Franklin97355

Re: NeoPixel Ring not Lighting up.

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of your board and the connections to it?

obrownart

Post by obrownart »

I am having the same issue as the user mentioned above. I'm not the best at soldering, but I've tested all of my points with a multimeter. Everything should be in working order.
I am working on the Neo Geo watch with a Flora and the Flora board is recognized as are all the other components. I have tested them, but when I try to run any of the example tests with the neopixel ring, it doesn't work.
The red and green lights light up on the main board and I've tried using the external battery like the user above suggested, and even tried switching the defined PIN to 1 from 6 and back, just in case there was some kind of fluke in the code.
I will attach a photo of my board in a moment, it's a little messy, because I had to try to trouble shoot after I had glued the pieces together.
Though my soldering isnt the best, I don't think there's any issues with shorting, becaue I've been trying to test without the board and the neopixel ring touching each other, just in case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I am having the same issue as the user mentioned above.
As with the user above - we need to see pictures. Please post clear pictures of your board and the connections to it.

obrownart

Post by obrownart »

Hello! Apologies for taking awhile to upload the images!
The glue makes everything look a little messy, but as far as I'm concerned, everything should be in working order

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Attachments
connection to the neopixel ring, everything should be in the correct location
connection to the neopixel ring, everything should be in the correct location
IMG_4715-min.JPG (657.64 KiB) Viewed 290 times
under the neopixel ring post gluing, I've checked the connectivity of all of the soldering points, though now it looks especially messy
under the neopixel ring post gluing, I've checked the connectivity of all of the soldering points, though now it looks especially messy
IMG_4712-min.JPG (750.86 KiB) Viewed 290 times
here is the back side, everything is being recognized and giving data feedback
here is the back side, everything is being recognized and giving data feedback
IMG_4711-min.JPG (602.69 KiB) Viewed 290 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The data input connection on the ring looks a bit suspicious. The solder appears clumped up around the wire and not on the gold solder pad. Re-heat the joint and make sure the solder flows well onto the pad.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”