Bad pixel in 8x8 NeoPixel Matrix

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mrjdaddy

Bad pixel in 8x8 NeoPixel Matrix

Post by mrjdaddy »

Hi,

Some time ago I ordered 11 NeoPixel 8x8 Matrix boards (Order Confirmation No: 451898).

I just got around to using the tenth board, and found a bad pixel that flashes on and off intermittently. Previously I tried to solder a NeoPixel onto another board without success, so I would like to request a replacement board. Attached please find a picture of the board with the bad pixel.
Bad NeoPixel in 8x8 matrix.JPG
Bad NeoPixel in 8x8 matrix.JPG (90.86 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Thanks,

David

Franklin97355

Re: Bad pixel in 8x8 NeoPixel Matrix

Post by Franklin97355 »

What do you mean by "some time ago"? When did you buy these?

mrjdaddy

Post by mrjdaddy »

The purchase was in 2014, definitely in this calendar year. I would have to go home and look up the email records to find the exact date; I think it was around February or March. I was hoping the Order Confirmation Number (451898) would allow you to find the exact date.

Thanks,
David

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The people in accounting will have that. Our warranty on product is 30 days and you seem to be beyond that. What did you do when you tried to repair the other board that didn't work for you?

mrjdaddy

Post by mrjdaddy »

I started by removing the bad pixel in the other board. Unfortunately my SMD soldering attempts were not successful; while attempting to perform the replacement, I inadvertently removed one of the six pads on the board that was a contact point for the LED chip. Attempts to re-seat the pad in the correct location were unfruitful.

After that attempt at repair, Mike from Adafruit support kindly arranged to replace the NeoPixel 8x8 matrix board. You can find the thread about this first board with a bad NeoPixel posted in the forum under the title "Dead LED in NeoMatrix 8x8 breaks chain" which was started on February 26th.

Thanks,
David

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”