building LED wall using 8*8 LED matrices

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
everbright

building LED wall using 8*8 LED matrices

Post by everbright »

Hi all, I am a new user of the Neopixel LED matrices. I would like to build a cylinder wall of 15*4 LED matrices, with Small 1.2" 8x8 LED Matrix w/I2C Backpack. The LEDs face inner side, 15 columns of 4 LED matrices.In total, there will be 60 matrices and 3840 single colour LEDs.

However, there are several problems that came to me when I was thinking about it.

1, The backpack is a bit longer than matrix itself. If I need to put them in array that tightly attached between columns, the backpack will block neighbour columns' backpacks. The possible solution is to solder backpacks a bit off the matrix to the tips of pins of matrix. It can buy some space but still not good enough.

2, Since the 1.2" matrix backpack only has 3 bit I2C addresses, I can only control 8 matrix independently at the same time. If I need to control all single LEDs of all matrices, how can I set the addresses? Should I use another layer of micro controllers as master device to control different groups of 8 matrices? Is it going to slower the speed of refreshing matrix? The ideal refresh rate for each matrix is at least 100 Hz.

If by chance anyone have the experience of doing similar projects, or have good knowledge of how to solve these problems with even completely different better solutions, I will more than happy to listen to you for advice.

My contact email is [email protected]. As I am new in electronics and hardware programming, I hope you won't get annoyed if I ask some stupid questions.

Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: building LED wall using 8*8 LED matrices

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The pins on the matrices are fairly long, It should be no problem to solder them with some space between the matrix and the board. You can probably file a little bit off the sides of the boards too. Just be careful not to damage any of the traces.

Check this tutorial for a way of extending the addressing capabilities of the backpacks.

everbright

Re: building LED wall using 8*8 LED matrices

Post by everbright »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The pins on the matrices are fairly long, It should be no problem to solder them with some space between the matrix and the board. You can probably file a little bit off the sides of the boards too. Just be careful not to damage any of the traces.

Check this tutorial for a way of extending the addressing capabilities of the backpacks.
Could you please post the link of the tutorial? I couldn't see it. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”