60 led Neopixel strip not responding past 1m

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sogono

60 led Neopixel strip not responding past 1m

Post by sogono »

I recently received a 2m length of the 60led/m neopixel strip. After taking all recommended electrical precautions and loading up the strandtest program, I noticed the strip was not responding after a certain distance. I have tested multiple 5v switching power supplies, powering the strand from both ends, and writing numerous test programs which result in the first 60 leds behaving perfectly. However I am unable to access any pixels beyond the 60th, exactly where the strand would be split, had I not ordered 2 meters. I have not modified my strip in any way as I wanted to post about it first.

I should also note that the rubber coating over pixels 61 and 62 arrived with some cuts in it. I'm not sure if this is involved in the issue or not. I have taken a picture to try to show the coating as best as possible. The cuts align almost perfectly with the edges of the pixels as though downward pressure forced it to cut through. The black strip off to the left is a small piece of electrical tape I placed to mark the point where the strip stops functioning. In the picture, it makes the strip appear to be cut at that point, however it continues for another meter.
Attachments
20140722_010319.jpg
20140722_010319.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 182 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 60 led Neopixel strip not responding past 1m

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

In the default strandtest example, the strip is declared with 60 pixels:

Code: Select all

// Parameter 1 = number of pixels in strip
// Parameter 2 = pin number (most are valid)
// Parameter 3 = pixel type flags, add together as needed:
//   NEO_RGB     Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream
//   NEO_GRB     Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream
//   NEO_KHZ400  400 KHz bitstream (e.g. FLORA pixels)
//   NEO_KHZ800  800 KHz bitstream (e.g. High Density LED strip)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(60, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);
Have you increased the first parameter to 120 pixels to address the second meter?

sogono

Re: 60 led Neopixel strip not responding past 1m

Post by sogono »

Ah, I did suspect it was something minuscule I had been missing. That took care of it!

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”