NeoPixel ring 24: LED 17 white, LEDs 18-24 off

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eric3995

NeoPixel ring 24: LED 17 white, LEDs 18-24 off

Post by eric3995 »

A few days ago 7 of the LEDs on my NeoPixel 24 ring stopped lighting up and one of them started lighting up white all the time. The other 16 LEDs work normally.

The first thing I tried was running the strandtest arduino sketch, but varying the number of pixels in the Adafruit_NeoPixel declaration. If I declare one LED, only the LED clockwise adjacent to the malfunctioning LEDs lights up. I think that's LED 1. If I declare more than 1 LED (up to 17) that number of LEDs, counting clockwise from LED 1, light up. If I declare 17 or more LEDs LED 17 is white, not the color commanded by the program. LEDs 18-24 don't light up at all.

Next I tried putting a jumper between the data input of the ring and the Din pin of the malfunctioning LEDs. I saw that recommended in some other posts. If I put a jumper to LED 17 it changes colors and reacts as if it were LED1. LEDs 18-24 remain off in this case. If I put a jumper to LED 18 LEDs 18-24 light up and change color as if they were LEDs 1-7. LED 17 remains white in this case.

I also tried putting a jumper between the Din pin on working LEDs and the Din pin on malfunctioning LEDs. This did not have any effect on the malfunctioning LED, but did affect the working LEDs. All the LEDs past the jumper froze. For example, If I put a jumper between Din on LED 5 and Din on LED 17: LEDs 1-5 behave normally, LEDs 6-16 are frozen in the state they were when I completed the jumper, LED 17 is white, and LEDs 18-24 are off.

Any theories about what went wrong or what I can do about it would be appreciated. Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: NeoPixel ring 24: LED 17 white, LEDs 18-24 off

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for the diagnostic work. I think you have pretty much confirmed that leds 16 and 17 are not forwarding the control signal as they should. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send you a replacement ring.

eric3995

Re: NeoPixel ring 24: LED 17 white, LEDs 18-24 off

Post by eric3995 »

Thanks for the help and thanks for the quick response. You guys have great customer service. I'm ordering the replacement now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”