Help needed choosing a screen

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
artdevart

Help needed choosing a screen

Post by artdevart »

Dear Adafruit support,

First of all I'd like to thank this company for offering such great products and making it seem so approachable for electronics noobz like me.

I'd like to learn electronics (at age of 30), and to do that i decided to start a project of my own and see how far i can get.
I have an old 90s casette radio for my bmw, which i wanted to mod, making it look oem, but with a Rpi and a small touchscreen to control it (mainly to play music). The size of the front DIN panel is about 55mm, but the the tallest that the screen including the PCB can only be 50mm.

I would love to get the PiTFT with capacitive touch which is about 50mm tall, but the PCB on the back looks like it will be in the way. I was thinking of getting the 2.8 TFT Breakout board and cutting off the screw tabs, which would make it about 50mm tall, but i have no idea if that TFT will work with Rpi. I also had an idea that the PiTFT is hooked up to the PCB with that FPC connector, and was wondering if there isn't a ribbon cable extender with the same FPC connector so that i could mount the LCD panel away from the PCB controller and use the extension cable to hook them up. Do you think it's a possibility?

Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Art.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Help needed choosing a screen

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I've never seen an FPC extension cable. Maybe they exist - I don't know.

You could connect the 2.8" breakout to the Pi, I think, but you'd have to add a STMPE610 breakout to handle the touchscreen:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1571

I *think* this wiring ought to work - don't know, never tried it:

2.8" breakout -> Pi
MOSI - pin 19
MISO - pin 21
CLK - pin 23
D/C - pin 22
CS - pin 24

STMPE610 breakout -> Pi
DI - pin 19
DO -pin 21
SCL - pin 23
INT - pin 18
MODE - 3.3v(pin 1)
SDA/CS - pin 26

2.8" breakout -> STMPE breakout
X+ -> X+
X- -> X-
Y+ -> Y+
Y- -> Y-

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”