My neopixel 8x8 doesn't light up when connected to a Fadecan

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
briantun

My neopixel 8x8 doesn't light up when connected to a Fadecan

Post by briantun »

I bought a Fadecandy and a couple Neopixel 8x8 matrices. I've soldered up headers on everything -- and while each Neopixel matrix can run the basic tests fine via the Neopixel library on my Arduino Mega, when I connect a matrix up to the Fadecandy, nothing lights up.

The fade candy server software correctly recognizes my Fadecandy device over USB, and when I run samples in Processing, I can see Fadecandy's activity led happily blinking away, meanwhile nothing lights up on the LED board. (I tried running the simple tests on the server page to light up the board at 50% for example)

Any ideas?

I tried hooking my scope up to the data out lines on the Fadecandy, and I certainly see activity there.

For power, I'm just using a 1 amp power supply (I plan to get a 4A supply...).

Franklin97355

Re: My neopixel 8x8 doesn't light up when connected to a Fad

Post by Franklin97355 »

1A may not be enough. Could you post clear pictures of your board and the connections to it?

briantun

Post by briantun »

I'll try again when I find a bigger power supply. But, frankly I'm concerned when I'm able to get the whole matrix lit up fine during the strand test example when connected to my Arduino and I get zilch when connected to the fade candy.

I'll post pictures when I find a bigger power supply -- but basically I have a 5v 2amp power supply wired up, power + going to the matrix, fade candy row 0 + to the data in, and the grounds wired together.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You don't need to wait, you can post your pictures now so we can look.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”