7" Display & Audio 1280x800 IPS - HDMI/VGA/NTSC

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hartwell001

7" Display & Audio 1280x800 IPS - HDMI/VGA/NTSC

Post by hartwell001 »

I have the 7" Display & Audio 1280x800 IPS brought in March 2014.

It has problem powering up.

I am using a DC regulated power supply (BK Precision 1670A) because it can display voltage and current.

When 9.0V is applied to the 2.1mm DC barrel jack of the display, I get a red LED (little wired PCB) and the power supply is 9.0V at 0.06A. Disconnecting and connecting the power gives a red LED and no backlight. The buttons on the little wired PCB are unresponsive. After several times (~10 off/on), I get a green LED and the backlight comes on, power supply is 9,0V at 0.61A, and display works well, including the little wired PCB.

I can also get the display to work at 5.0V at 1.12A but it also required turning off and on (~10) until the display comes on. Once the LED is green and the backlight comes on, the display works. Also, if the HDMI signal is removed, the display goes into sleep mode and it wakes up when the signal is re-applied (the 5.0V to display has not been removed) without powering off/on.

Suggestions on how to make it always power on the first time.

Franklin97355

Re: 7" Display & Audio 1280x800 IPS - HDMI/VGA/NTSC

Post by Franklin97355 »

How long has this been happening? After applying power you should have to press the power button to get it to turn on. Check all your connections to make sure they are tight. Could you post clear pictures of your board and the connections to it? Also be aware that this is out of warranty by now.

hartwell001

Post by hartwell001 »

The 7" hdmi display arrived on the second week of April. It started having problem with initial power up about four weeks after. I sent an email to adafruit on May 26.
Attachments
This is what the setup look like.
This is what the setup look like.
1.JPG (926.83 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Applying 5.0V to the 2.1mm DC jack, the LED turns on but no backlight and the power button next to the LED is unresponsive (same for the other four buttons).
Applying 5.0V to the 2.1mm DC jack, the LED turns on but no backlight and the power button next to the LED is unresponsive (same for the other four buttons).
2.JPG (838.79 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Disconnecting and connecting the power (at the power supply to minimize stress on the 2.1mm DC barrel jack) to the 7" hdmi board until the LED is green and the backlight comes on. Didn't touch the power button next to the LED to turn it on.
Disconnecting and connecting the power (at the power supply to minimize stress on the 2.1mm DC barrel jack) to the 7" hdmi board until the LED is green and the backlight comes on. Didn't touch the power button next to the LED to turn it on.
3.JPG (901.62 KiB) Viewed 241 times

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Are you actually only giving it 100ma of current, that's not enough.

hartwell001

Post by hartwell001 »

The power supply current is set to 3A as the "Current" knob is turned clockwise max in 1.jpg. The current 0.10A shown on the power supply in 1.jpg is what the board is consuming while it is stuck in red LED initial power up. Pressing power button next to the LED doesn't do anything. Only after some off/on cycles, the LED turns green, the backlight comes on, and the current output on the power supply shows 1.0A. The board works fine after that until the power is turned off. Reapplying power to the board gives a red LED, no backlight, and current consumption ~0.1A.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”