PiTFT + Capacitive Touch - Touch screen not working

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sfomad

Re: PiTFT + Capacitive Touch - Touch screen not working

Post by sfomad »

I put it on a raspberry pi model B+ and worked like a charm.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Thanks for following up!

wa4chq

Post by wa4chq »

Not sure if this is a good place to ask a question about the PiTFT....I hoped that this post would have the answer but it was more about the unassembled screen.
I just received my assembled 2.8" PiTFT touchscreen. I have the raspi b+. I've searched the forums but can't find out about plugging it it to the board. Since it is the same size as the board, do I just plug it in? Or do I use a downgrade gpio ribbon cable 40p to 26p? I have one of those but if that is needed, how do I orient the 40p socket on the board?
Thank you.....have a great weekend.
UPDATE:
As usual, after posting my question I find the answer! The screen comes on and I see the text during bootup buy aftern that just a dark screen with tiny cursor....hard to tell if it's blinking or not. I'd like to get the thing working right but I'm ok using my laptop and ssh or vncview......I bought it for possible future projects and just to mess with.....having fun!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Capacitive or resistive? Here is the tutorial for the capacitive model. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8 ... tive-touch

wa4chq

Post by wa4chq »

Hi...thanks for the speedy reply. I saw that article and looked into the easy install. I read that the image was not for the pid# 1601 which is what I have. So I ran the script assuming that it would be for the 1601.....and looking at the script it says that it is for the 1601. Towards the end, it asks if you would like text console to appear on the PiTFT. First time I said yes and I said yes to enabling an on/off button function. I ran the script a second time saying no to both..... I didn't have a keyboard attached to the raspi either time......
Thanks again....

wa4chq

Post by wa4chq »

UPDATE: SOLVED
I found out that I needed to add a file called "99-fbdev.conf" to "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d". Here is what was in the file:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"  
  Identifier "myfb"
  Driver "fbdev"
  Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
EndSection
I halted raspi, attached the display, plugged her in and she worked just like she's supposed to. I haven't take the plastic screen protecter off but touching the screen moves the cursor around! OK, cool. Here is the link I used:
https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/Framebuffer-use
OK, have a good weekend and stay dry everyone.

rgm

Post by rgm »

Oh man, I also have a Rev 1 Pi (several, in fact) and ran into this issue. I thought I was soooo clever modifying the PiTFT enclosure to fit, it's BANNED to get this far and realize that the PiTFT touch input mods doesn't support rev1 hardware. <del>Hopefully you guys can modify the easy install script or learn tutorial to mention this issue?</del> Looking forward to an updated script or manual compile instructions.

Edit: I read good. Nao aye see "rev2" in both produkt deskripchun n tootoreeal. Caveat emptor. Still hoping you can burn a day and spin a kernel with the GPIO tweaks for rev1 boards on our behalf, or point us in the right direction.

wa4chq

Post by wa4chq »

One important thing I forgot to mention was before modifying xorg.conf.d I installed PiTFT 2.8" resistive image.
http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.c ... _08_25.zip I found it while reading the article for adding the 2.8" PiTFT to the raspi B+. The image is for the PID #1601 screen that I purchased.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... sy-install
Interesting turn of events.....I tried setting up a direct connection from the raspi to my lappy and messed Raspian up. I've got it reinstalled and am in the process of getting the PiTFT back on line.....
Also bought another micro sd card with an adapter so I can have Arch pi to play with....
^^^^^^MISTAKE^^^^^
I didn't use the image....I used the DIY Installer script. The instructions are on the second URL I posted above. By mistake, I started downloading the image....boy it was taking a long time.....couldn't figure out why cuz I remember when I first did it, it was fairly quick and simple. Finally I looked and the page again and realized my blunder! Sorry for any confusion.

mikemike89

Post by mikemike89 »

So, how do you connect a 1601 display to a raspberry pi b+ board? Earlier wa4chq asked this on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:32 pm then said they'd figured it out. So what's the solution? I'm looking for some kind of ribbon cable to go from 26 pins to the b+ pins? Or something else? Do I need a downgrade gpio ribbon cable 40p to 26p?

Many thanks.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I soldered on the pins and plugged mine into the first pins. After downloading and following the tutorial it worked just fine.

ggalt

Post by ggalt »

adafruit2 wrote:Not at this time, the i2c bus moved! we're aware of the issue but it requires recompiling the kernel to add support for alternative I2C busses and there's no ETA at this time :(
Has this issue been resolved? I bought a 2.8 capacitive touchscreen when they first came out (prod #1983) and I have a pi B+ :

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 697.95
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 0002
Serial          : 000000005904d9b8
I get the dreaded "ft6x06_read_touchdata read touchdata failed." from dmesg and the touchscreen doesn't work. It does work on my pi2, so I'm reasonably sure it is the ic2 bus/kernel issue. FYI, I've tried with both pitft jessie and pitft jessie-lite from Adafruit (and, yes, I downloaded the "c" version). Any thoughts?

I did find this thread from notro (who developed the driver for this screen) where he seems to suggest that one could use modprobe to modify the pin assignments. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the 2.8 pitft to work with a pi b+??

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”