PiTFT out-of-box? Or terminal with no HDMI?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BobStein_VisiBone

PiTFT out-of-box? Or terminal with no HDMI?

Post by BobStein_VisiBone »

Trying to get the 2.8" PiTFT to work with the Raspberry Pi B+ and the NOOBS firmware out of the box.

I made the mistake of not having any display technology on hand that would work with the B+. (Don't have anything old enough for NTSC nor new enough for HDMI.) I should have ordered the HDMI-to-VGA cable. I wonder now if there's any way to configure the firmware to boot up and use the PiTFT instead of the HDMI or NTSC for the console. Or can I get a command-line prompt via USB or some other way?

The instructions here at adafruit seem to assume boot install has already happened, as cmdline.txt is already available, not to mention nano.

I found instructions on github on changing the display mode via the recovery.cmdline file which is on the NOOBS firmware, but I have the impression the PiTFT won't be on that number menu.

Any help before my HDMI-to-VGA arrives?

Franklin97355

Re: PiTFT out-of-box? Or terminal with no HDMI?

Post by Franklin97355 »

You should be able to connect with SSH. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... h/overview You may need a hard ethernet connection if your wifi did not configure.

BobStein_VisiBone

Thanks, Franklin. Is there a way to enable ethernet and SSH without a terminal? Didn't see that. When I connect a hard ethernet cable, the network LEDs don't even come on, either on the pi or on the hub (tried two cables).

Is it possible there is no ethernet available when first powering up NOOBS at that menu before installing an OS?

Also tried a mini wifi and a wifi antenna. No new entries appear in the router's DHCP table.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

I've used just an ethernet cable to setup a pi before, but I did it using a Raspbian image instead of NOOBs. Try grabbing the latest Raspbian image from here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and installing it on your micro SD card. Connect an ethernet cable and let the pi boot up. After about 5 minutes try checking your router device list to see if a new device is there. You might even be able to access it directly from the hostname it sets by default, 'raspberrypi' (without quotes). If you can see the raspberrypi device then try connecting to it with SSH, the username is pi and the default password is raspberry. (no period in the password, just raspberry)

BobStein_VisiBone

Thanks @tdicola, I believe that would have worked. I see now where this is mentioned in Using The Console: "you won't get ... a NooBs prompt." (I'm up now, having scored a HDMI-VGA adapter.)

Now seeing there are Ready To Go images of Raspbian for the PiTFT.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”