Ambilight clone: LED string or strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
soyxan

Ambilight clone: LED string or strip

Post by soyxan »

Hi,

I want to make my own ambilight clone and I am planning to buy the LEDs.

My preference is the strip, as it is flat and will look like much better than the string and all the wiring.

Which one do you think is better in terms of better "ambilight" effect?

Thanks!

SeiRruf

Re: Ambilight clone: LED string or strip

Post by SeiRruf »

Hello Soyxan, and welcome to the Adafruit forums!

First off, I am very surprised that no body has gotten back to you regarding this question yet. D: So I'll do what I can right away. :)

You never mentioned, were you planning to incorporate animation into this project, where you'd need to control each LED individually?
If so, I'd recommend focusing on NeoPixels. Each LED is controlled individually with the help of an arduino microcontroller. Problem is, the strips don't come diffused by default, however if you purchase the ones protected in their water proof housing, a little sand paper or paint/polish would be sure to give you the effect you need. :)

If you wanted solid colors, I'd recommend the 12V solid strands. It's the same story with them. Just search up the keywords in the Adafruit Shop for more information and options :) Any other questions?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”