HDMI 4 Pi - 5.6" Display 1280x800 (720p) REMOVING THE BACKLI

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robb509

HDMI 4 Pi - 5.6" Display 1280x800 (720p) REMOVING THE BACKLI

Post by robb509 »

Hey all,

Really hoping to get some feedback on this.

I recently purchased the HDMI 4 Pi - 5.6" Display 1280x800 (720p) Kit (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1666), and I want to remove the backlight for my project. The 1st one I ordered I was able to successfully do this, but I cracked the screen in the process. It worked exactly how I was hoping for it to, minus the cracked screen.

I ended up ordering two more of these screens and that's when s**t went sideways.

The first (of the new screens I ordered) screen died on me after removing the backlight. The device powered on originally, and after I removed the backlight there was nothing on the display to indicate that it was working. This same issue happened with the second one.

So I thought, well, obviously it's the screen. Except this theory seemed to be debunked when the wired PCB board with the power indicator would turn green when I originally powered on the screen, but when I tried to reset it (or turn it on and off) the light would start flashing orange.

What am I doing wrong? I was super rough with the 1st device but managed not to FUBAR the device, but when I tried to carefully remove the backlight from the 2nd and 3rd one, I killed the device.

Thoughts?

Robb

adafruit2

Re: HDMI 4 Pi - 5.6" Display 1280x800 (720p) REMOVING THE BA

Post by adafruit2 »

ok umm, well first off - we have never done this so we're not like experts at all. :)

is the backlight still plugged in but dangling off the TFT?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”