Screw my 8x8 NeoPixel Matrix...

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mukorcorp

Screw my 8x8 NeoPixel Matrix...

Post by mukorcorp »

I'm trying to make a case for mounting a few NeoPixel 8x8 matrixes. Can anyone answer the following.

1. What are the size of the mounting holes. According to my calipers, they look a little too small for M3 screws. Has anyone tried M2.5 screes? Is there a human readable data sheet? https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Ne ... 8x8-Matrix has the PCB design, but I'm looking for a diagram.

2. What are the solder pads for? Is that for chaining the matrixes together? If so, how does that work. Docs? Examples?

3. I plan to power 4 NeoPixel 8x8 matrixes with the 10 amp power supply I bought from AdaFruit. From what I've read that may be cutting it close. Any guidance as to whether I'm asking for trouble.

Thanks

Josh

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Screw my 8x8 NeoPixel Matrix...

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1 - M2 screws work. You can open the board files and view the schematic using the free download of Eagle: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/
2 - The solder pads can be used to join the boards. You still will need to connect power, ground & signal. There are labeled solder pads for that.
3 - With 4 panels, you will need to keep an eye on memory utilization. The pixel array in memory will consume 768 bytes of SRAM. The theoretical maximum current draw from 4 boards is about 15A. Most applications will not get near that, But, if you plan on driving all pixels to full intensity white simultaneously for extended periods, you might consider a larger supply (or multiple supplies).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”