Waterproofing Neopixels

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
avengerhed

Waterproofing Neopixels

Post by avengerhed »

I purchased 6 meters of Neopixels that i've cut into strips for an outdoor project. I would like to purchase additionally silicone sheathing and end caps to help waterproof all of the segments. Does adafruit sell these? Are they available for purchase elsewhere?

To be clear, I just want more of the included weatherproofing cover and end caps.
Thanks!

Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Waterproofing Neopixels

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have end caps for the LPD8806 strips, but not for the Neopixels. We do not stock the sheathing separate from the strips.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/774

fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I recently had to waterproof a ton of strips....
I did water tests using conformal coating spray as well as using neverwet (home depot)
They both worked great but neverwet was the best except that it takes more work to apply.
They both lasted all day completely submerged in a water cooler, but when I did a saltwater test, the electrolysis killed them after about 4 hours...
Still if you are not using water with minerals or only need to protect them from light spray, this info might be useful....

simonthorpe

Post by simonthorpe »

I am interested in also doing this. I want to create my own grid of neopixels for use on the back of a jacket. But they will be used in all conditions, so I want to waterproof the neopixel and the wire connection. I will be using 22 or 24 AWG cable.

It would be great if there was a glue on cap to put around a neopixel that also covered the soldered wire. Then I can create my grid of neopixels and after glue on caps to waterproof the pixel.

Any ideas? I was wondering if there is some sort of glue I could apply around the entire pixel and then glue in a small piece of glass/plastic to sit on the pixel itself to allow the light to escape undefused.

simonthorpe

Post by simonthorpe »

Just for future reference, I am going to test out this solution.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/pro ... poxy-832c/

mareekayte

Post by mareekayte »

how did this work out?

lynztree

Post by lynztree »

I'm want to weatherproof my Neopixels for the umbrella project. My question is, I was wanting a better way to cover the Neopixels that are connected at the top. The bottoms I took care of with caps and silicone adhesive but how about the other ends? I was a bit sloppy and had to cut away some of the rubber casing and I can use it to recover up the exposed pixels. However, what I WANT to do is cover up the soldered joints so they don't pop off and stay tacked down. Is that silly or is there something I don't know about that I can use? Last time I put silicone adhesive all over the joints and that was a sloppy mess, especially if re-soldering needs to happen!
Thanks for any feedback!!

l.
Attachments
IMG_4372.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg (691.96 KiB) Viewed 971 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

@lynztree - see my answer in your other thread: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p445627

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”