2.8" pitft no workie

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
IRTermite

2.8" pitft no workie

Post by IRTermite »

Same subject, different person... I've tried installing from the Adafruit images, Raspbian Vanilla and the easy install script, and Raspbian Vanilla manual steps. All have failed to produce a working fb1 output. Granted, I get the white to black and black to white screen in certain steps; I just can't seem to get the thing do display on anything but the HDMI. I also noticed that the step stating to remove 99-fbturbo.conf on Raspbian versions newer than September 2013 prevented the HDMI from displaying the GUI after startx. Once I added the 99-fbturbo.conf back, I was at least able to get X up on the HDMI monitor. Still no GUI or terminal to display on the tft. Oddly enough, the provided image from Adafruit didn't have the spi-bcm2708 or fbtft_device modules installed. The manual instructions also make mention of using 'stmpe_ts' instead of 'stmpe-ts', which I believe it should be the hyphenated module? Something makes me feel there are a few small missed steps here, or this LCD is defective. I'd like to rule out the solders, since this was a pre-built purchase. Your solders are quite pretty.

Following instructions from:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... i/overview
Have tried all three processes [image, scripted, manual]

Issue Similar to this and many other posts like it:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=47326

Images Attempted:
Vanilla - 2014-09-09-wheezy-raspbian.img
http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.c ... _08_25.zip
http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.c ... -pitft.zip
http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.c ... -pitft.zip

Kernel:
With manual install attempt.

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.15.3+ #12 PREEMPT Thu Jul 3 14:35:03 SGT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
Firmware

$ /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Jul 20 2014 16:07:56 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version d8cfa5ccd979ca458fef97e87c14eb804c93762b (clean) (release)
Last edited by IRTermite on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

tdicola

Re: 2.8" pitft no workie

Post by tdicola »

Just to check what command or program are you running to get output on the display? Lets check it's setting the appropriate framebuffer environment variable, since it can be different depending on the program and how it displays graphics.

Also if you install the PiTFT easy install image from here and run this command to start x windows:

FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx
Does x windows display on the PiTFT after about a minute?

IRTermite

Post by IRTermite »

tdicola wrote:Just to check what command or program are you running to get output on the display? Lets check it's setting the appropriate framebuffer environment variable, since it can be different depending on the program and how it displays graphics.

Also if you install the PiTFT easy install image from here and run this command to start x windows:

FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx
Does x windows display on the PiTFT after about a minute?
Negative, it does not.
Yes, that is the page and those are the command parameters I used, from the instructions. The tft screen goes black, and nothing more. It does blink a bit on mouse movement, but not image. Possible resolution or rate issue? Out of curiosity, I even tried it was fb0, just to make sure it wasn't a weird enumeration swap issue, but with the screen going from white to black, it seems to be fb1 is right.

Side-note: This was tested on two different Pi's so, that isn't it.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Thanks for checking with the easy install image. That's really odd that you're still not getting anything. One last thing to check is the power supply and any other devices attached to the Pi. Are you using an external 5V supply or a computer/laptop USB port to power the Pi? If you're using a computer USB port switch to an external supply since most USB ports can't supply enough current to power the Pi & PiTFT at that same time.

Also are there any other devices connected to the Pi's USB ports, GPIO pins, etc? If so can you try with everything disconnected except the PiTFT? Thanks!

IRTermite

Post by IRTermite »

We thought power too, so we used a 1A wall plug
wireless usb keyboard
wireless wifi (but happens when the wifi adapter isn't plugged in either)
Nothing else connected

I'll try with everything unplugged, but that would make it pretty useless to not have keyboard. Guess I could use ssh over wired...

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Thanks for checking, it sounds like power isn't an issue. Yeah I just mention removing the connected devices to see if perhaps there were too many devices and too little power supply, but a 1A supply with just a wifi dongle and wireless keyboard should be OK. At this point I think it's worth replacing the PiTFT. Out of the box it should work with the ready to go PiTFT image. Since it doesn't look like a power issue I suspect there might be something wrong with this board. Send a mail to [email protected] and point them at this thread to get the process going for replacing the board. Thanks for the patience troubleshooting it, and hopefully we can get a good one to you soon.

IRTermite

Post by IRTermite »

Much appreciated. We will get that going ASAP!

claco

Post by claco »

Replacement screen works like a champ. Thanks!

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Awesome, glad to hear it works now. Thanks for the followup!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”