What to buy as a starter set?

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BruceRatcliffe

What to buy as a starter set?

Post by BruceRatcliffe »

Thoughts of an Electronics teacher new to Arduino: I'm thinking about buying just the Uno R3, as I have all the basics (breadboards, pots, etc.) but I note there are a couple of possible items I might want to purchase, specifically, "Getting Started with Arduino (by Banzi), the Data Logging Shield, and the Proto shield. OF course more is better, BUT more expensive. Should I buy more than just the R3? If so, what?

Thanks,

Bruce Ratcliffe, Electronics instructor, Fresno

adafruit_support_bill

Re: What to buy as a starter set?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Getting Started book is very good. Lady Ada's Tutorials are also an excellent way to get started - and they are free :D

The Data Logging shield and proto shields both see a lot of use on my bench. If you have to choose just one, the Data Logger also has a decent-sized prototyping area, so it can do double duty.

ahdavidson

Re: What to buy as a starter set?

Post by ahdavidson »

Bruce,

In what kind of environment will you be teaching? What are your learning goals? What kind of students, classes, labs, curriculum, etc.?

I think if you give some more context, I for one could give you some more specific advice. For instance, I have taught 2-3 hour workshops for adults and also high school classes using Arduino. They are, naturally, quite different and I would recommend different "stuff."

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”