Requesting help for a Hackerpsace for Kids

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MakeItUrzTroop1337

Requesting help for a Hackerpsace for Kids

Post by MakeItUrzTroop1337 »

When we started our laser engraving business, almost a year ago, one of our future goals was to start a hackerspace for kids. A place where kids can learn how to solder, program, build, think ahead, make mistakes, and then learn to troubleshoot them. We wanted to donate our time and laser to this hackerspace and we wanted to incorporate others who have different and diverse skills to help. In building momentum for the new business the hackerspace idea was set aside…

Until yesterday… the iron on patches reminded us of our much desired community project and that we might be ready to start moving forward. We also thought the patches would be a great way to incorporate success.

The thing is… I am not an engineer. I am someone who enjoys learning. That being said, I need all the help I can get to move our hackerspace project forward.

That is why I turn to adafruit. I was wondering where I can go to research the nuts and bolts of a project like this, and what other people who may have started these went through, what helped them, what mistakes they made, things I should probably know before getting started, avenues for research and tools, and any other tidbit of information I can glean off wiser souls than mine.

I want to do this, and just because I don’t have a master’s degree or two, does not mean I am incapable. It just means I need help, and I am hoping I can find that here.

Thank you for your time.
mmc

westfw

Re: Requesting help for a Hackerpsace for Kids

Post by westfw »

You could talk to your local school(s).
Shop classes aren't quite dead, and a middle school might be thrilled to get some modern equipment.
It'll depend on teachers/etc how much it gets used (shop teacher talking to computer lab teacher? Inconceivable!) Our middle school woodshop has assorted power tools that are used mostly by the 3rd year students and the adult woodworking class that runs occasionally; the younger students get mostly restricted to hand tools.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

MakeItUrzTroop1337 wrote:I was wondering where I can go to research the nuts and bolts of a project like this, and what other people who may have started these went through, what helped them, what mistakes they made, things I should probably know before getting started, avenues for research and tools, and any other tidbit of information I can glean off wiser souls than mine.
hi mmc!

so you're looking specifically for how to start a hackerspace?

thanks!
adafruit

MakeItUrzTroop1337

Post by MakeItUrzTroop1337 »

Hi! (Happy New Year!)

I am looking for as much information as I can get my hands on right now regarding the creation of and maintenance of such a project.

We are playing with the idea of using our laser studio as a space, but it is rather small, and not an extremely convenient location, though it is insured and already paid for so that would eliminate the immediate need for funds. It is a place to start.

We have contacted a local community college to start discussions and are rather excited about that. I would like to go into that meeting with a clear outline of goals and where we see this project going. Right now, it is a concept with a few details, but the idea needs clarification and structure if I want to start pitching the idea to gain support.

Thanks,
malinda (mmc)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

here ya go:

"Documentation: Infos on running a space: Legal Structure, Location Scouting, Decision Making, ..."
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces

it's also a good idea to chat with the hackerspaces that are thriving. nycresistor, noise bridge, la crash space, etc. check out their sites and wikis.

cheers,
pt

isdale

Post by isdale »

A bit late to the table, but check out http://schoolfactory.org/
They are an organizations dedicated to setting up makerspaces, fablab, hackerspaces and can offer various types of help, including an umbrella 501(c)3 while you get going.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”