Connecting students with the environment using Arduino

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nextlevellabs

Connecting students with the environment using Arduino

Post by nextlevellabs »

In my first year of teaching, I was asked to develop resources for a new Environmental Science course offered at my school. We were situated in the sixth-largest city in Canada, and funding for field trips seemed to diminish more and more each year, so developing hands-on activities for a course of this nature presented a huge challenge:

How do I get students in an urban community in touch with the environment?

Although miles of suburban sprawl surrounded us, complex environmental processes were constantly occurring all around us. They were just a little difficult to see. I decided to shift the focus of the course from simply “What is the environment?” to, “How do we study our environment?” Using parts primarily from Adafruit Industries, I made an environmental sensor. Temperature, humidity, light level, and ozone concentration data were collected using the DHT22 sensor, a photo cell, and Futurlec’s MQ131 gas sensor. A Boarduino and Xbee got our sensors talking to our school server and a 6V solar panel powered the beast. Everything fit nicely into an Otterbox and some Sugru provided stability and weatherproofing.

Our Pachube feed logs the sensor data and now students have real-time environmental information to analyze. I then made my own Flash visualization using Pachube’s XML feature. I’ve developed a few lab activities around using the sensor data. For example, my class examines the photochemical reactions that create smog by looking at the relationship between light level and ground-level ozone concentration. This leads to further investigations on how air pollutants can impact health.

The whole project can be viewed here: http://nextlevellabs.com/ozone.html

I’m hoping to eventually get other schools building their own sensors and crowd-souring environmental data. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if students across the world could share data and collaborate on environmental initiatives?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”