"Pointless Education – An Alternative to Grades"

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

mwalimu

Re: "Pointless Education – An Alternative to Grades"

Post by mwalimu »

I agree that grades are pointless, but we are in a minority. Many teachers are wedded to the "A to F" grading system (at least in secondary schools) and parents have a hard time understanding anything but the traditional grading system. It's difficult to fight tradition.

ceratophyllum

Post by ceratophyllum »

There are entire colleges, many of which are pleasantly subversive in their (counter) culture, which do not implement the silly rat race of grades and the inane calculus of credit-hours. New College (Sarasota,Fl not the BANNED one) is one such beacon of sanity. Or at least it was in the 1990s....

millis

Post by millis »

I really wish the general population would have just experienced the same faculty meeting I had to sit through this afternoon.

It was an hour-long meeting about how to teach, how to grade, how to prove we as teachers are doing our jobs with tons of paperwork.

Of course the principal hasn't taught in many years and when he did, he didn't do any of the stuff he's requiring us to do.

Oh well - just another reason why I'm leaving public education for something better.

I love teaching - but my job really isn't about teaching, unfortunately.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”