Smaller solder irons for kids?

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hungryrob

Smaller solder irons for kids?

Post by hungryrob »

Anyone know if smaller irons exist for kids (8-10yo)? If so where? If not why not? Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Smaller solder irons for kids?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't know of any kid-specific irons. But I've taught a lot of kids in that age range how to solder and they generally don't have much problem with a standard-sized iron.

hungryrob

Post by hungryrob »

Thanks for reply, I will go ahead and try her out with my iron, I'm just worried if she burns herself it would put her off from trying again.

cccookie

Post by cccookie »

I don't know of any kid specific irons, but an Antex 12W or 15W iron has a handle diameter smaller than my little finger. The slightly wider "guard" part is about (only slightly more than) the diameter of a tube of lip balm. It really deserves to be called a pencil iron. Not like those jumbo hot dog size irons. I can't use those things.

Oh, you will want to "work" the power cord a bit to soften it, or the stiffness will flip the tiny iron around. They do make a soft, silicone power cord, but I've only found them on 240V european models.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”