Raspberry PI config file test mode

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
donrahrens

Raspberry PI config file test mode

Post by donrahrens »

I am an instructor making Lab projects for my students using the Raspberry Pi.
I have found many references to "test_mode=1" for use in the config.text file.
I have added this line but it seems to have no effect on anything.
References say that it will test sound and video.
I'm using the B model with the Deban os.
Has any one gotten this to work?
Thanks
Don Ahrens

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry PI config file test mode

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

test_mode is something you don't want is general use. It prevents the device from booting to the command line.

It's a feature they use at the factory to test the audio and video systems, putting known signals on those outputs. The device just sits there presenting those signals until you shut it off again, since that makes it easiest to manage preparation and execution of the tests. Not particularly exciting or useful unless you're doing low level "does this work" tests for lots of RasPis at once.

donrahrens

Post by donrahrens »

Thanks for the reply.
I plan on using the book "Raspberry Pi User Guide, Upton & Halfacree" for a full class on the Pi.
I am training students to be electronic/computer Technicians and testing is a skill they need, so showing test mode will be helpfull.
I test everything in the book before using it in class. I have modified the config.txt file to add test_mode=1 and rebooted the PI. It still boots normally. I have made other modifications to the config.txt file and gotten the proper results.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

abhi12

Post by abhi12 »

hi there,
I'm new to python programming with raspberry pi. Actually, i wanted to know how to measure the temperature stability and noise figure of a sensor using analog ADXL345. :?:
Can you please tell me how this is done and yea, if you have the code for this can you please give me because I'm trying to do this since the last few weeks but still stuck at right there. thank you

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”