$9 Arduino clone indigogo

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Franklin97355

$9 Arduino clone indigogo

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thought some of you might be interested in this. http://borderlesselectronics.org/ Sort of like the Raspberry pi for Arduinos. Not to say you should buy from someone other than Limor (she's the best)

westfw

Re: $9 Arduino clone indigogo

Post by westfw »

I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand: cheaper arduinos for people who can't afford the current version. I guess.

On the other hand, part of the wonder of Arduino is not so much that it is "low-cost microcontroller", but that it's a microcontroller that is able to support an distribution and support chain FOR PROFIT, and is STILL quite affordable. I don't think it's very realistic to think that you can drop an extra 10000 zero-profit boards into that marketplace without hurting it to some extent; the motivation may be better, and the execution more ethical, but I don't see how the actual impact is much different than random cloners underselling the "real distributors." Boardless Electronics says they'll be doing their own tutorials and support, but ...

Couple that with the suspicion that some of the people buying these in the 100-pack will end up reselling them at "whatever the market will bear" on eBay/etc.

It's similar to the thought that despite flaws one might perceive in Arduino hardware, the market doesn't need Yet Another Clone with those flaws fixed.

Sigh. Economics. Marketing. Bleh :-(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”