Gemma / Flora issues

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
phoenixperry

Gemma / Flora issues

Post by phoenixperry »

Hello,
I'm teaching a class here on gemma on Thursday. It took a massive effort, significant support from your side and a final solve from a community member to get gemma to work on windows 8.
adafruit_support_bill helped me and the posting is here:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41477

I violated my own 1st commandment and installed new software once I got it working before the class so I could work on one of my own projects that requires a serial port. Problem? I just installed my Flora and it disrupted and broke my gemma install that was working. Since this attempt everything died. I am back to the same set of errors all over again. It's super disheartening after I spent 2 weeks to get this thing running only to have it break down to a stupid .cat file lib usb issue. I'm a relentless debugger....

At this point, I'd really love some help. When I installed the Flora, I didn't reinstall my libusb drivers but I did have to reinstall my arduino IDE as it never showed the Flora as an option, only gemma and trinket. You can see from the post above, I had to install it originally "the slow way"

What the hell happened? I've got back and uninstalled and reinstalled every piece of this puzzle, including dragging my back up of my arduino folder *before* I started editing it for flora.

Gemma + windows 8 = pain point. Serious pain point.

thanks. tips welcome. LibUSB shows up and is normal in my device manager.
The gemma, tricket or flora however are not there. Somehow I think I need to get Windows to reinstall the software on the gemma to get it to show up. Since I uninstalled everything, it seems to ignore it now on reinstall. In the device manager, I opened up the Actions > Add legacy Hardware and reinstalled the flora there but it only opened a com port and the gemma/trinket/flora devices that used to show up under other devices in the device manager do not show up at all anymore. Even when I select show hidden devices, they are just gone.

Thoughts?
phoenix
Last edited by phoenixperry on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phoenixperry

Re: Gemma / Flora issues

Post by phoenixperry »

and the error they are spiting this time from the IDE is

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

However, the device is there in the device manager and appears active.... :(

phoenixperry

Re: Gemma / Flora issues

Post by phoenixperry »

Ok I'm going to post this up here for any poor souls who might be on windows....

This is a bit of a facepalm but I had to use a powered usb port and plug in my machine to get enough power through.... Not both ports on my laptop are charging / powered ports. Most stuff will work on both ports but not charge on the one that's now the powered one meant for charging devices. When I plugged in my machine *and* used the powered port I was magically transported happy gemma and flora world. Note in my special case (acer aspire s7 2013 i7 processor) it was the power cord to the wall that made the difference.

Ah fun times.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”