Soldering project

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
leejones15

Soldering project

Post by leejones15 »

Hello folks!
I'm excited to have started a robotics class at my high school after years with no electronics or technology courses (all cut). Second semester, I got a class set of arduino UNOs that we are going to use, working through the Learn Arduino on this page (thanks so much!)
One of the aspects of the UNO is soldering, a skill most students don't have, so I'd like to get practice in before they go melting metal all over my arduinos. As relics of the electronics course that got cut many years ago, we have a ton of old diodes, resistors, pcbs, transistors, and other misc electronics lying around (remember those old 500-in-1 electronic sets from Radio Shack? Imagine about 100 of those). Any suggestions for a good "learn to solder" project using basic electronic components? I can have them solder random wires and LEDs, but it would be more engaging to have a better outcome.
I know there are several learn-to-solder kits out there, but I am at zero for funding and would rather use whats on hand.
Thanks again for the valuable help! I'm a chemistry and physics teacher with little robotics and electronics experience myself, but I saw the need in our small community and appreciate your help!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Soldering project

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We have a nice tutorial on how to solder, but I don't know of any particular projects.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... ring/tools
You say you've got old pcbs, maybe just have them solder a few random parts for practice

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What kind of PCBs are they? Are they boards for a specific circuit, or general purpose prototyping boards?

If you have some LEDs and resistors, you could start by soldering up some arrays of LEDs with current limiting resistors (see this tutorial http://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-leds)
Then write some Arduino sketches to flash them in different patterns. Then maybe move on to some of the other circuits in the Arduino lessons: http://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=arduino+lessons

If you don't already have some breadboards, I would highly recommend getting at least one so that they can prototype their circuits before committing them to solder. http://www.adafruit.com/products/64

leejones15

Post by leejones15 »

Good idea on the LED arrays. I know that is something we can use later on. Should we solder any resistors with the array?

The boards we have are general purpose (just holes), so I guess they aren't "printed" circuit boards. I have tons of breadboards, and we will be doing most of the work on those. I think the only soldering students will have to do is the LCD screens all need to have the pin headers soldered on. I could do them all myself to be safe, but figure learning to solder will have some value as well.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Should we solder any resistors with the array?
You can use the "All about LEDs" tutorial I linked above to calculate the optimal value for maximum safe output. But for simple blinking, you can just play it safe and use something in the 300 to 1Kohm range. I keep a stash of 1Kohm resistors just for such purposes.
I could do them all myself to be safe, but figure learning to solder will have some value as well.
It's a good skill to learn, and they'll get more satisfaction out of building something that way.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”